Reiki (pronounced Ray Key) is a combination of two Japanese words Rei and Ki meaning universal life energy. Reiki traces its roots back to what is now Tibet; originating around 3,000 B.C. Reiki is a natural healing method that uses the hands of a healer to channel energy to another person. Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement. It is an ancient laying-on of hands healing technique that uses the life force energy to heal, balancing the subtle energies within our bodies. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing. Reiki speeds up the healing process and supports the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
When you’ve decided to go and have a Reiki session you want to make sure you get the most benefit from it, so here are a few tips on getting the most from your Reiki session:
1. Keep an open mind – Openness is the only requirement for Reiki to work. You don’t need to believe in it, but you must be open to it. For the best results it is helpful to walk into a Reiki appointment open minded and well rested. Share with your practitioner any issues you have been dealing with. These issues can be physical, mental, spiritual or emotional.
2. Time – make sure you have enough time and aren’t rushing to get there or rushing off quickly after your session. The whole idea is to relax and rejuvenate your energy, not get stressed getting there! Give yourself plenty of time to get to your appointment. Try going on a day when you know you’ll have a little bit of time to yourself afterwards to let the Reiki energy soak in.
3. Comfort – Wear something warm and comfy; your Reiki Practitioner should have a cosy room and a blanket to cover you during the session and it’s always nice to be in comfortable clothes so you can relax completely. Some of my clients like to bring their own bed socks for extra warmth and comfort during the session.
5. Water, Water, Water! – Reiki helps to detox your energy field and your physical body so drink plenty of water before and after your session to help aid this detox. You can also help detox the body with sea salt or Epsom salt baths.
6. Let it out – If emotions surface during the session, allow them to be expressed. If you need to cry or laugh, let it happen organically. Your practitioner is used to this happening and will have tissues on hand. To achieve best results, you can say to yourself before the session, “I accept this healing for my highest and greatest good.” This helps to get rid of any energy barriers you may be holding up that could interfere with the session. If you are spiritual, you can ask your guides and angels to be present during the healing.
7. Sleep – Try to have an early night the night before your session. You may also feel like an early night after the session as your body will be in relaxation mode.
8. Grounding – Following your Reiki session your Practitioner should wake you gently as you will be in a state of deep relaxation much like a meditative state. You may feel a little ‘spaced out’ so your practitioner should allow you time to sit and relax to ‘ground’ yourself. Drink some water or juice.
9. Enjoy! – The feeling of rest and relaxation will stay with you for some time after the session – that is the Joy of Reiki.
For more information on Reiki or to book your session with Sinéad call 086 2550389 or contact us here
Books on Reiki:
Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art